With Christmas fast approaching, here’s an awesome recipe for your dessert table on Christmas. Warm Custard Spoon Bread, it sounds remarkably delicious! Recipe courtesy of Food 52.
Serves 6 to 8
- 1cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4cups stone ground corn meal (I use local Texas cornmeal)
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 2large organic eggs
- 2cups organic milk ( I use 2%)
- 2tablespoons melted unsalted organic butter + 2 teaspoons to grease your pan
- 1 1/2tablespoon white vinegar
- 1tablespoon real vanilla extract
- 1teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2teaspoon sea salt
- 1cup heavy organic cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place an un-greased 8×8-inch baking dish in the oven to warm.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a separate, large mixing bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients except the heavy cream. You will use the heavy cream at the end to finish off the dish.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and slowly stir until batter is smooth and free of lumps.
- Remove heated dish from the oven and add the remaining 2 teaspoons butter.
- Slowly scrape the batter into the heated and now buttered pan and set dish on the oven rack. With the dish in the oven, slowly pour the cream over the batter, without stirring.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the top layer is golden brown and a knife comes out clean. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Let us know if you try this recipe out in the comments section below!